Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Civil War Recipe Box: Johnnycakes

The other day, I booked a trip for my 21st birthday. Not one for drinking until I pass out, I will instead be traveling to the beautiful Fall River, Massachusetts and spending the night in Lizzie Borden's bedroom in the Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast (what up). I can't wait for ALL THE HISTORY! And maybe I'll even befriend a ghost.


(Lizzie's Room - which I really want my room to look like)

While looking over the itinerary, it mentions how, the next morning, guests are served for breakfast the final meal the Borden family ate on the fateful morning of August 4, 1892. One of the listed specials was johnnycakes.

Johnnycakes are flat, cornmeal cakes that are baked or fried on a griddle. They originated as a staple food in the states around 1600. As I mentioned, they were eaten in the Borden house and, as the title of this blog hints, they were eaten years earlier during the American Civil War. Though they were eaten all across the United States, the peak of their popularity was in the Northeast.

The recipe for johnnycakes is very simple and quite fun if I do say so myself. I have made the dish before and found the cakes to my liking.

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 cup of milk
2 TB of butter

Toppings:

Syrup, molasses, or preserves can be used. The Lizzie Borden house provides powdered sugar and cinnamon as well.

Directions:

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Combine the cornmeal, salt, boiled water, and milk in a medium bowl and stir well.
Melt the 2 TB butter in a skillet or a cast iron griddle over medium heat.
Pour 1 TB of batter into the skillet like a pancake to cook.
Let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until the edges are light brown in color. (Use a spatula to turn them).
Serve them hot with your choice of toppings.

That's it. If you make johnnycakes, or have tried them before, leave a comment below and tell us what you thought of them, what your favorite toppings are, or even a photo.

Until next time.

XOXO, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment