Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Asia Booth Clarke

Those that know me know that, while I love studying the actual American Civil War, my main fascination is in the Lincoln Assassination and Conspiracy. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for new information, whether it be photographs or newspaper accounts, that I've never seen before.

Last night, I stumbled on this photo of Asia Booth Clarke, John Wilkes Booth's older sister.

 
There is a sketch of her full body as seen here.
 
 
However, that picture I have not yet found.
 
I only photo I have seen of Asia that is similar to the first is this one.
 
 
The photo is a vignette, meaning it is cropped to show only her face. If you look closely, you'll notice that her hat and dress are the same. Same buttons, same collar, same flower looking thing on the collar. However, and this might just be me, but her facial expression looks different when you compare the two images. She looks more serious in the second, cropped version. The most likely explanation is that these are two different images taken during the same photography session. If you look at images of her young brother, John Wilkes, you will find quite a few different images from the same set.
 
Anyway, I was excited to find a new, very cool image and wanted to share it with you all. Tomorrow I visit Edwin Booth's Players Club to conduct some research. Maybe I'll find the photo of Asia that the sketch was taken from on display there. Wish me luck :)
 
Until next time.
 
XOXO, Kate 

No comments:

Post a Comment