Monday, July 7, 2014

A Perfect Hell

"The next morning there was an unusual movement of feet hurrying to and fro, the rattling of chains and dragging of ponderous balls on the brick pavement in front of my cell. I could not surmise the cause for all these mysterious movements...About 2 o'clock in the afternoon General Dodd came to my cell...and asked if I had noticed anything of an unusual nature pervading the prison. I replied in the affirmative, giving him an account of the bustle and confusion, attended with the clanking of irons throughout the morning, and that I judged from these circumstances that other prisoners had arrived. He replied no, and in a soft and feeling manner informed me of the execution of four of our number."
 
"A little to the south of it the eye rested upon four mounds of new heaped earth, testifying the undeniable fact that beneath those cold and cheerless hillocks rested in the quiet sleep of death all that but a few days before were life and sensibility."
 
-Samuel Arnold
 

 
 
I have no words. Go here for a more detailed description: Thus Perished Four
 
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment