Sunday, November 17, 2013

Rustic Courtship


Rustic Courtship. Painted by William Henry Midwood in 1865 aka the year the Civil War ended. I found this painting while looking for blog inspiration and loved it so much that I had to share it. Being the storyteller that I am, I began thinking of a story for the young couple in their quiet country home. Was this man a soldier just returned from war to his sweetheart? Or did he hold another job during the conflict? Here's what I came up with.

Their names are Lucy and David. He was a southern clerk in a Washington DC pharmacy during the war. She was a wealthy northern belle and volunteer nurse engaged to marry someone else. They fell in love, became engaged, and ran away, leaving behind their lives in the city. They are now a newlywed couple living in peaceful obscurity on a small farm in southern Maryland.

So that's my tale. What's yours? Leave a short synopsis of your story in the comments below. Or just enjoy the beautiful painting.

Until next time.

XOXO, Kate    

No comments:

Post a Comment